The Windham Turkey Trot has grown from 50 participants in 1995 to over 1,100. With that growth, needless to say, the effort to produce this great tradition has grown. There are big and little jobs and all help is appreciated.
If you are interested in helping out with any of the areas listed below, please email us at WindhamTurkeyTrot@gmail.com and let us know which things interest you.
- Website management (Someone with website experience please - would like to add photos from previous years in addition to making our rudimentary site more snazzy:-)
- Advertising with cable stations, newspapers, websites (publicity to do list has already been created)
- Sponsorship (looking for businesses to help offset the costs associated with the event to ensure that 100% of all donations continue to be given to charity)
- Business donations (contacting existing donors to request continued support - i.e. Dunkin Donuts, Shaws, Staples, BJs)
- Poster placement (We have long existing list of places where our promotional flyers go ... Many hands make light work. Need to be available to do this the last week of October through the 1st week in November.)
- Banner placement and oversight (We have two large plastic banners that get placed near Center School and the Village Bean Complex. A permit needs to be submitted to the town for permission to put the signs up, signs need to be set up a few weeks early and taken down preferably right after the Turkey Trot. Finally, the signs need to be looked after since wind and weather can affect their visibility.)
- Pre-Registration T-Shirt Organizer (Need to make sure that the correct sizes of t-shirts are set aside for pre-registered participants.)
- Parking Attendants (Really important job the morning of the Trot. We need to manage parking so that everyone stays safe. We have a fantastic person who oversees and manages these volunteers. Need to be willing to arrive on site by 7:30 am) Adults and mature teenagers who are willing to firmly direct drivers are needed.
- Set up
(Depending on the weather, we try to set up as much stuff as possible the night before - Some is also done the morning of, so you would need to be available by 6:30 /7:00 am)This involves setting up a canopy, the registration area, food area, parking tape, decorating the porta potty, etc. :-)
- Clean up (Putting things away, washing out hot chocolate containers, taking down signs
- Miscellaneous (Someone who is willing to run a few errands, pick things up and whatever else I've forgotten.)